As we all know leading a healthy lifestyle, eating a balanced diet and doing regular exercise lowers the risk of you developing serious illnesses. Did you know that a healthy balanced diet rich in oily fish, green vegetables,fruit and nuts is also beneficial to your eye health?
There are specific eye friendly nutrients that are necessary to provide your eyes with the support and protection they need against serious eye diseases. Macular Degeneration disease is the most common cause of visual impairment in the developed world, mainly affecting people over the age of 60. It is a result of changes to the macula – a part of the retina located on the back of the eye that is responsible for clear central vision (your peripheral/side vision is not affected by macular degeneration).
There are simple steps you can make to your lifestyle to help protect against sight loss.
- healthy diet – green leafed vegetables such as spinach, kale, fruits including peaches, oranges and apricots
- stop smoking
- lifestyle changes – taking regular exercise – find a sport or hobby you really enjoy doing!
- wear lenses that block out UV/blue light that is emitted from the sun, car headlights, computer screens.
- have regular eye tests, we recommend every two years (unless you have a medical reason for you to have a more regular eyetests e.g diabetes)
A convenient way to ensure you are getting all the essential nutrients and vitamins you need is take supplement that is specially formulated to ensure your eyes are having the exact nutritional intake. Here at Lichfield Street Opticians we recommend Nutrof Total capsules.
Nutrof Total are easy to swallow capsules that just have to be taken once a day.
- Vitamin C – antioxidant, regenerates Vitamin E
- Vitamin E – Antioxidant
- Zinc – antioxidant
- Copper – antioxidant
- Selenium – antioxidant, scavenger of free-radicals
- Essential Fatty Acids – Fish Oils and Omega 3 – important in development and function of the retina
- Resvertrol – found in red wine, red grapes and blueberries – antioxidant, anti-inflammatory
- Lutein and zeaxanthin – these two pigments are called carotenoids, they help absorb blue and ultraviolet light, they protect your macula which is responsible for your central high resolution vision. Lutein and zeaxanthin can only be obtained via your diet.
It is also available as the only drinkable nutritional! If you don’t find it easy to swallow tablets Nutrof Total Drink is so easy to make, just empty the sachet into a cup, add half a cup of water, mix and take immediately with your main meal of the day.
In a recent Department of Health survey experts found that just a quarter of adults eat the recommended five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.This can leave you at a higher risk of developing macular degeneration and other common eye diseases, so it so important for you to be eating a healthy balance diet.
For more information about eye health please contact us at 01902 420348 or email@example.com. Or pop into see us! We have Free brochures that explain fully the benefits of a healthy diet preventing against serious eye diseases such as macular degeneration.
Many thanks to OpticianOnline.net, National Eye Health Week, Spectrum Thea and Macular Disease Society.